Monday, July 11, 2005

Grad Student?

I took the GMAT today. That's the standarized test for admission into MBA (Business) Grad Schools. I never thought I'd go back to school. And since most MBA programs require at least 2 years work experience, I really hadn't given it any thought yet. But the University of Chicago started a new program this year that specifically targets people in the workforce less than two years. It is by nomination only; about two weeks ago, my boss nominated me. So within two weeks, I've been putting together a whole game plan. I'm only applying to Chicago now; I figure if I can't get in to a top program, the degree's utility for opening doors is significantly diminished. So I took the test today, have an interview on Thursday, and have until Friday to get recommendations and write four essays. Nothing like crunch time.

So I ran to the test this morning, after signing up last Thursday. I didn't do any preparation. I had no clue about the format of the test, let alone the content. I definitely didn't study in any manner. I really don't have the patience for that, and from experience, I've seen that it never improves my score. I know what I know, and I test how I test, and I'll be just fine with that.

I barely got to the test center on time after getting lost driving there. But I made it. The test was on computer, very cool. It felt like a computer game. I sped through the first section, the essays. Then came the quantitative section, that nailed me. I can't handle all those trick questions. And I can't focus on X's and Y's and other variables. So I was dying to get out of there by the end of that section, which I finished with 7 seconds left. I had skipped the break before that section, but I bolted after completing that messy math. I had actually used scratch paper! The injustice, the insanity! But I made my way through to the final reading comprehension section, which was challenging, but also interesting. Plus I finished that with 30 minutes to go.

They give you your score when you leave. Yeah, it's pretty automated, although they somehow grade the written section later, so I'm not sure how that affects the score they give you. I got a 640. I wasn't really sure what that was out of, or what is a good score. Although, somebody showed me that that falls within the median range for Chicago, so I guess I was ok.

Either way, it was $250 and half a vacation day that I would've loved to spend otherwise (in NY?)...

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?