Monday, July 11, 2005

GSB Application

Well, I've completed the whole Grad school application thing. Interview, Essays, Recommendations, and Transcripts. All those little wonders that are a pain to get together. But then you don't have to do it again. The application was due Friday, July 15th. I got it all together by 3 PM, and then called the school to see if they needed it in their hands by the end of the day. Apparently not. So rather than shlep all the way downtown to put in their hands personally, or spending obscene amounts overnighting it, I just dropped it in standard mail. My fate is now out of my hands.

Now to discuss my fate. Going to grad school represents a real commitment. Not just to homework and tests, but to a life as well. If I enroll in a 2 and a half year program at the University of Chicago, I'm essentially committing to staying put for that long. Weekend jaunts to New York aside, relocation won't loom in the eminent horizon. And that speaks nothing of the two year committment I have to stay at work to make up for their tuition reimbursements (although I could transfer to a New York office to satisfy these post grad years). So rather than an alterntive life plan of finding another work path to follow in the near future, I'd have more of the same in the near term. But I could almost write my own story thereafter.

The alternative would be for me to stay put for about six months, and complete a full year in my first ever full time job. At that time, I could start to look for alternative positions that would meet one of my two short term goals - to enjoy work or enjoy my friends. Enjoying my work could involve simply finding another job that may have more challenging aspects, although that can be hard at the entry level. Possibly a smaller firm would offer me better access to the decision making levels. Or I'm highly attracted to something entrepreneurial, especially since at my age and responsibility level, I have very few aversions. Or I could go to anything in New York, which if not more exciting, would at least enable me to have an enjoyable life outside of work. Again, that could be an internal transfer, or just look for random openings out there.

So basically, what I'm saying is that my entire life decision will be made by some admission committee at the University of Chicago.

Comments:
I was in a similar situation, where the admission committee at U of C was deciding my fate of staying in Chicago. They said no, which surprised me. I called and it turned out to be a mistake. They really said yes. Then I got offered lots of money by other places, so I did the evil thing and took the money. Moral of the story: Be evil.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?