Sunday, July 31, 2005

Lost in Translation

The latest news from Brooklyn (reported by a correspondent):

Someone said Shavua tov to my rav's youngest son. He had no idea what it meant, so someone explained it was the same thing as gut voch but in hebrew.

So he asked, "then why not just say it in Yiddish?"

-------------------

My response when I heard the story:
"HA! If only you had a blog..."

Like a jew, my friend responded:
"I'm willing to sell the rights"

I offered to quote the correspondent, "B'shem Omro:"

He replied:
"well the kid's name is Yoeli X, so there you go"

I admitted,
"I was thinking more of quoting you"

He followed through with the punchline,
"I know. But the story is funnier if you use his name... a chaddish kid named Yoeli asked...."

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?