Friday, July 01, 2005

Score - Life 1, Me 0

So I'm off to a good start. I'm spending a long weekend in NY, but it looks like I'll be roughing it. After an hour and a half delay, my flight finally took off. After waiting an hour after landing, my luggage still hadn't. So while the upside was that I had an excuse to initiate conversation with the frumie girl next to me whose luggage also had gone AWOL, it also meant that I was leaving the airport shorthanded. It was nice that I didn't have to shlep so much personally, but it also meant I had no Tefillin. Or clothes. Now somehow magically, of the two bags I checked, the one I brought with items for other people made it fully intact. But the bag with all my vitals was taking a vacation of its own. No biggie. Nothing material is too crucial that I can't live without it for 24 hours. Unfortunately, however, it looks like it may be a little longer. When I reported the claim, I didn't know the address of the building I was staying in. So they couldn't send it out until after 10 the next morning when I was finally able to get through to the airlines. But I'm staying in an apartment building with no doorman. It seems they came by sometime Friday and nobody was around. So they couldn't deliver it. So I'm spending Shabbos with more clothes than I wore to work on Thursday. But it's about 90 degrees outside, and my clothes had gotten pretty disgusting. So I decided to take partial advantage of the airline policy that allows for some reimbursement for replacement items. I bought a new white shirt, and some other essentials, hopefully to be offset by a payment from the airlines. But I didn't scam anyone. The only thing I took advantage of was the raw jungle that is Washington Heights, where everything and anything can be bought and sold off of rusty folding tables in the streets. For only $10.23 I was able to by an entire disposable wardrobe. No word however, on whether the unmentionables are recycled.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?