Monday, August 01, 2005

Blogging Tips

As an add on to my previous post, I thought I'd do the service of providing the five rules of blogging for any blogger.

1) Write often - If you have the choice of putting out 10 posts in one day or 1 post a day for 10 days, space it out. If you disappear for indefinite periods of time, people will find other sources of conversation.
2) Pick a niche - Your blog should be united around some theme that uses your creativity to force others to think. If you want to connect to any audience, your posts will consistently need to resonate with them. It is hard for the same people to identify with your diaper changing woes at one moment, and then switch to debating the cause of high fuel costs.
3) Use your wit - Whether a slapstick humor, dry humor, sarcastic humor, or some other creative mannerism, something about your writing will have to entertain at the same time that it educates. Otherwise, I could just count the obituraries as blog material.
4) Don't underestimate grammar - Bottom line, if I need a translator to read what you write, I'm probably going to move along. Punctuation and spelling don't need to be the Queen's High English, but language in general was intricately crafted to be able to allow complex thoughts to be communicated between diverse individuals. If I can't hear your passion, I probably won't listen to your message.
5) Write short - Let's face it, if we had attention spans, we'd be reading books.
6) Don't follow any rules

Comments:
I know what sparked the frum rules-- what sparked these?!
 
I disagree.

I post once a week. That's it. I'm not sure I have, lulei demistafina, much more to contribute than that.

Also, Unforgiving Editor points out that on your other blog you describe yourself as "On Orthodox Jewish Chicagoan" instead of "An." Since you brought up grammar I thought I'd mention it
 
I humbly accept all corrections, as well as other opinions. Thank you for leaving this blog a better place then when you found it.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?