Thursday, August 18, 2005

Boys from Brooklyn

My community has "imported" 6 guys learning in Yeshivas Torah Temima in Brooklyn, New York for one week. The goal is to "help strengthen the community." I'm not sure what the plan is for them to accomplish this goal, but I guess any additional voices in the Beis Medrash here would be encouraging.

The truth is I think the impact on the community will only be a tangential benefit. I think the real accomplishment will be introducing six guys who have probably never left the "Old Country" of Brooklyn to the rest of the planet. Not that a Jewish ghetto is necessarily a bad thing, but I think more people in the small world of frum New York need a window into Jewish life outside. I think ultimately they'll have a better view of what Jewish life is like for others, and this will enrich their own practice, even if they decide to return back home for the rest of their life.

More Yeshivos should encourage every one of their Bachurim/Avreichim to spend some time in another community. It is not only a great way to engage them in leadership training opportunities, but just open them up to places where Eruv fights (and Eruvs themselves) are unheard of.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?