Friday, August 05, 2005

Non-Violent Protests

I don't understand all these orange wearing American Jews. Whether or not you support the Gaza evacuation plan, I don't understand what your choice of clothing 7,000 miles away has to do with anything. The majority of people in Israel support the government's plan. What is a silent protest in America going to accomplish, pointing out a travesty...of a democratically supported peace-making effort? Whatever the outcome may be, unless you are going to pray, send a check, or go out to Gaza to affect Israeli public opinion, you are just wasting your time. And displaying poor fashion sense.

Comments:
hey! i love my orange t-shirts!!!
but i see your point. aside from praying for an end to disengagement, one of the things that my t-shirt has sparked are some very interesting conversations in which people, both jews and non-jews, have asked me about the issue. you'd be surprised how many people don't really know much about the middle east, but assume the traditional stereotypes about jews. but this actually opens up a dialogue that might not exist otherwise.
and just for the record, orange has been my favorite color for years. :D
 
Thanks ladies. My fashion sense wouldn't have picked up on orange being such a hot color. But while I agree that something external, like clothing, could spark an informative discussion, I just don't get the color thing. If a t-shirt says, "Disengagement=deportation," I understand how that can lead to a discussion. But the color orange? Why would some passerby assume that the color hides some deeper political meaning?

For example, in my neigborhood, somebody tied orange ribbons around the lamp post. Now I suppose somebody could ask me why are there ribbons tied around the lampost, sparking a heated debate. But most likely they won't give a hoot what color the ribbons are as they clean up the neigborhood. Wouldn't actual political slogans be more helpful to inform the public than adopting some official color that nobody knows has any deeper meaning?
 
oh, see, my orange t-shirts actually have gush katif & shomron logos and say jews should not expel jews, both in english and hebrew. so it's not like it's just a plain orange shirt. i honestly don't understand why orange was the color chosen, except maybe that it stands out in a crowd?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?