Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Out of Town

I love a small town. Not that I live in the smallest community ever. But I've always been attracted to the low key, close knit atmosphere of smaller cities in the US. It seems that the smaller the place you live in, the more people band together regardless of their differences. I don't think that is a shocker. Everyone realizes that they need each other too much to start distinguishing based on differences. The great effect though is quite healthy - everyone is free to live the life they see as the most meaningful (or least meaningful, if that is the route they choose).

But I'm not just here to tout a lifestyle foreign to many, to serve as just an atlas of life in "quirky" places. I'm here to encourage everyone to move to one. I mean, you don't have to. If you are happy where you are, by all means, enjoy. But happiness has to take precedence over the fear of the unknown. Don't just stay where you're at because you've grown up there your whole life. Get out and see the rest of the world. And if you think you can be a better person somewhere else, enjoy doing something different. You'll be surprised that things such as electricity and Kosher food are pretty much everywhere nowadays. And you may even take on a more active approach to spirituality, rather than passive, when you become the most knowledgeable person around.

Come on, doesn't Chief Rabbi of Montana have a certain cache?

Comments:
Like Erica, I thought you were talking about me, too.

In less than two weeks I'm packing up out of NYC, where I've lived all my life aside from summers, and moving south for a whole year all by myself (not to a place like Montana but I don't know too many people in the community I'm moving into). I'm sort of hesitant because I like the convenience of torah, shiurim, chavrusas, kosher restaurants etc. and what I'm familiar with having grown up here all my life despite all the materialism. But I'm looking forward to the challenge and experience and hope to agree with you when it's all said and done.
 
that's funny. that's what i did this past yom ha'atzmaut. totally relocated to a small town upstate ny. amazingly, it's actually strengthened my judaism, my zionism, and my understanding of what i want for the future. if i had stayed in brooklyn, i would have been in the same rut i was in for the past bunch of years.
 
Thanks everyone. And of course you're all invited to my neck of the woods, where I'd be happy to show you some Midwest hospitality.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?