Thursday, September 29, 2005

The Yuppie Scene

I spent last Shabbos in the Lakeview neighborhood of Chicago. For the benefit of those of you from Out-of-Town, Lakeview is often compared to New York's Upper West Side- a location "in the city," populated with young professionals, often single. It was my first time venturing out there. Truth is, in the almost year since I've returned to Chicago, it was only my second time going out for Shabbos. And even though my brother lives in Lakeview (for three years already), I've only gone there to visit three times during the week. But I have a friend who bought a condo there in July, and I've been throwing around the promise of a Shabbos visit for quite some time now.

Truth is, I was a little hesitant to go out there and was probably looking for any excuse to push it off. I mean, there's nothing terrible about the place, but a) my home in the 'burbs is plenty cozy for me, and b) I never really liked the Upper West Side. All that fancy "action" and "things to do" that people rave about in the city just isn't for me. I'm the guy that went to bad last night at 8 PM. I'm not interested in going out.

And the whole "singles scene" kind of weirds me out. Don't get me wrong, a peer group is a nice thing to have. As friends, sure it's nice to have people at a similar stage in life to be around. But the dating overtones just make me uncomfortable. I was going to Lakeview to visit my friend; I hope nobody thought I was trolling for women.

Truth is, I had a wonderful Shabbos. We had group meals that really introduced me to the people of the community. And rather than feel like I was collaborating with a whole bunch of mid-twenty-something Yeshiva singles sowing their oats, I found a diverse crowd just eager to be able to find friendship. I found that Lakeview's "Modern" reputation was not like New York's. It felt more like a Midwestern college campus, with people from little to no Jewish background enjoying their traditions in connection with those from more religious upbringings (ok, there were only a handful of those that I met). In short, I felt like I was in a place of growth, not stagnation and regression.

I invited those I met to join me in Skokie for a Shabbos. I only hope I'll be able to show them a Shabbos as "Heimishe" as they showed me.

Comments:
lovely
 
hi josh! i found you on chosenhunt (anysara's blog) and i am wondering why you are not married- you sound like such an awesome guy! so, what kind of girl are you looking for? would you mind if i set you up? i am a shadchan at Saw You At Sinai, and i would love to try to find you a nice girl... (hope this isn't weird- i'm not a cyber-stalker or anything- you just sound so great, i can't believe you're single!)anyway, i am MH on anysara's blog- so you can check that and see that i'm normal- if you want, i can send you my email address or my SYAS info... good luck and a gut g'bentsched yor!
 
Is anybody else weirded out?
 
not really
although it might have been a good idea to email josh directly
 
Honestly, I'm right behind Anon(2) and MH (Mata Hari, not MH the Shadchan). The funny thing is, Shadchanim seem to come out of the most random places. The even funnier thing is that Shidduchim and your Bashert can come out of even more random places. So don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Anon 1, I'm willing to listen. This could be very entertaining for my readers.
 
Erica - Just a bit of a grammar game. The first is an answer, the second is a question. Also, the first implies that I am left alone, and shouldn't be. The second implies that I am never left alone, and should be.

I'm glad you enjoy Kraft Kosher. I have a whole bunch of new posts to put up there, but I also have so many new posts to put up here. Why oh why did they have to block Blogger at work?

Anon1, can you help my friends Erica, Mata Hari, and Shosh as well?
 
why josh can't be left alone - i.e. here are the reasons why josh can't be left by himself - look what he gets up to or the mess he gets into

as opposed to
why can't josh be left alone? -
poor beleaguered guy...why won't people leave him alone!
 
I was just in Lakeview a few weeks ago for Shabbat and thought it was great. But then again, I do live on the Upper West Side...

Shana tova u'metuka!
 
hello all! it's anon 1- i didn't email josh because i have no computer saavy at all and i didn't know i had the option to email him- the only way i got on this blog was by clicking on a link from somewhere else and then book marking it... sorry if i weirded anybody out... anyway, i wouldn't mind helping whoever to look for someone on SYAS- i know this sounds like an ad for them, so let me just tell you that i don't get paid or anything, so i am not drumming up business here... anyway, this is stating to sound more than weird- even to me- so, if any of you are interested, you could put your email address here and i could email you directly. and i really am a normal person... really.
 
anon1 - i don't think it's weird at all - i think it's really nice that you took the trouble to post. besides - there's almost as much stuff on the net about josh as about paris hilton (minus the beard and payos), so once it's in the public domain, it's fair game :)

keep up the good work - i hope you make a lot of successful shiduchim

MH
 
You thought you could run...you thought you could hide...you were wrong. just when you thought it was safe to come out of the water...dun dun...sPaM!!!
 
Anon- As of now, I'm still committed to just cleaning it up. I'm not against word verification, but unless the SPAM starts coming more frequently, I don't want to play with the blog settings. I barely have time for posting...
 
It's not just spam, but Oriental spam; they've hit rock bottom.
 
Anon (number 1) - Unfortunately, dropping an email address into a comment can be a little risky. The same spammers that drop automated comments on a blog also grab email addresses off the web and spam them as well. So I can see why people would be hesitant to go that route. But here's a helpful hint: If you click on a Commenter's name (or on View my Profile on their blog), it will take you to their profile, which may list a link you can click on to email the person. Let me know if this trick works for you.

Anon 2 - Looks like I'm going with verification.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?