Saturday, October 08, 2005

Sign from Gd

My power was knocked out during a fierce thunderstorm the other night. By about 6 o'clock, I was growing hungry, and with no relief in sight, I had no clue what to do. By 8 o'clock, out of options, I ran over to the nearest Walgreens, smashed in the window, and made off with a bag of potato chips, a shoe shine kit, and a digital camera. The store clerks must also have been put off guard by the emergency situation, because they seemed to just stare off in bewilderment as I rummaged through the store. I headed back to my house for the duration of the crises, unwilling to give up what had been my home for 20 years.

Fortunately, by 2 o'clock in the morning, my power had been restored. But I was furious at how the whole situation had been mishandled. Why had there been no calls to evacuate in the face of such a terrible weather threat? And why had my predominantly Jewish block been the ONLY block to lose power? Clearly discriminatory overtones were at work.

I try and grow from every experience. It's clear that Gd is trying to tell me to buy a battery powered lantern.

Comments:
of course...you can never have too much shoe polish during a storm
 
you'll forgive me (i hope, this time of year), but i thought you were joking. you seriously made off with a digital camera and shoe shine??? where in the fierce thunderstorm would these items come in handy? as iw as reading, i thought 'he must be making fun of the people in lousiana who made off with plasma tvs,' or something.
and why on earth did you have to "smash" in the window at walgreens?
 
erica - he was joking...i was joking
 
do you honestly think that someone who puts up his real name, picture and biography on the web, will publicly admit to breaking and entering? and why would someone who works for kraft be lacking in potato chips? (josh - does kraft produce potato chips?)
 
This was the real Operation Shock and Awe.
 
Kraft makes no chips. It's quite embarassing, actually.
 
Kraft makes no chips?
Maybe not potato chips but... http://www.nabiscoworld.com/cheesenips/
 
Um, thanks Anon for pointing that out, I guess. Potato is one of the ingredients. Not quite Ruffles, but I'm glad I've got you to keep me straight.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?