Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Indo/ Jew Bowl

A ran across a recent story in the Chicago Sun-Times about a group of young people in my community who throw a cultural event referred to as the Indo Jew Bowl. As could be inferred from the name, it consists of a Thanksgiving Day football game between, you guessed it, some Indian kids and some Jewish kids. Cute, I guess.

Then I read the story and the website. And I saw some of the names that were involved. And I realized that not only did I know them, but these had been the guys who made up my closest circle growing up. These were the guys on my Little League team, in my summer camp, and at my birthday parties. And I hadn't seen or heard from most of them in over ten years. It was kind of strange to see guys that had been so close in a major newspaper, where they seemed as close to me as ever, but yet I was no closer to them than any other reader of the paper.

As I peered into every corner of their website, trying to simultaneously find out what my friends were now up to as well as relive my childhood, I caught a part of me that felt as though it had died. But maybe it hasn't. The game is tomorrow, Thanksgiving Day, 3 miles from my house.

And as a Thansgiving Day Football bonus, this article highlights a recent decision to open up a prayer area at Giants Stadium. A victory for Mincha Minyanim? Actually, just a favor for Muslims. But in the city of Jew Day at Shea, why hasn't this been done before? Don't the Jews have Minyanim already? I know at Wrigley Field they have a Mincha Minyan (although it is private, consisting of the Yeshiva and Ida Crown students vending concessions).

Comments:
I think you should go! That sounds like so much fun, not to mention the shock factor. Let us know what you do.

P.S. Your site seems to be one big chick magnet.
 
Friendship is one of the most fragile things I have ever known, one day you share your deepest secrets, two years later you hear from second hand he's has two children and you don't even know the name of his wife.
 
okay, okay.
out with it, josh.
it's motzei shabbos and i need to know. was is a go or no?
didja see them?
didja go?
nu, so what happened?

okay, just busting chops, but you know, it's only fair to give us a post update.
 
It's true--your fans are asking for an update. Please comply.
 
I'm working on an update. With Thanksgiving, there was a ton going on here, and I had to compete with two brothers for the computer. And recalling old times isn't easy for a sentimentalist.

But don't fight ladies, there's plenty of me to around.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?