Monday, January 30, 2006

Hakodosh Boruch Hu - Anachnu Ohavim Oscha

I got back from the wedding exhausted. I went back to my married friends' apartment in Silver Spring, and, anticipating a dreadful day coming up, I got ready for bed as soon as possible, so that I could be up for my 3 AM alarm. Preparing for my early flight, I repacked my bag, Mapquested the route to the airport, and even checked in for my flight before jumping into bed, moves that would prove crucial the next day.

The sleep wasn't so great, despite the creature comforts of the bed. Having skipped the post wedding shower, I was covered in wedding juice, and I woke up at all hours of the night covered in fresh sweat. At one point, lying awake in bed, I finally glanced up at the clock, dismayed to see it read 1 AM - my precious hours of available sleep fading fast before I'd be back in front of my desk in Chicago.

Rolling and turning, I alternated between quick dreams and pondering the little amount of sleep I'd have in me the next day. After turning over and staring at the ceiling one too many times, I took another look towards the clock. 5:05 AM. 5:05 AM??? I overslept. I missed my flight. What was I going to do? I was going to be stuck in Washington DC all morning during the busiest day of the month at work. What was I going to tell my boss?

5:05 AM? Wait. My flight wasn't until 6 AM. I hadn't missed it yet. The plane was still at the airport. I was going to make it. I hopped out of bed, ran to the bathroom, changed into my work-clothes, and shoved my dirty laundry into the outside pocket of my hanging bag. I was ready to go, it was only 5:10, I still had a shot. I wasn't excited about skipping my morning shower, but surely I should worry about getting to Chicago first, and worry about getting that wedding off of me and being proper for work later, right?

I was out the door and went straight down to my rental car, throwing the suitcase in the passenger seat. I flipped through the armrest, the backseat, and the glove compartment for my Mapquest directions, before finding them on the sun visor. I took a minute to focus on understanding the route, figuring it better to start slow rather than drive in circles later. I reversed out of the spot, and saved the first two steps of the directions by taking a quick shortcut that I improvised.

The drive which Mapquest listed as 39 minutes would proceed in similarly miraculous fashion. Considering I had gotten lost on the Mapquest directions leaving the airport, I can't say how little faith I had in the piece of paper I carried in my left hand as I steered with the right. I focused on each next step on my directions, trying to go fast enough to make my flight, but slow enough to simultaneously read the map and stay in one lane.

Some of the turns were poorly marked, some not at all. But using the mileage between the steps, I was able to nail every turn, and I was making good time, if only I wouldn't blow it with some turn onto a highway to nowhere. I zipped along, finally reaching an area where the path to the airport was clearly marked. Pulling under the "Welcome to Reagan - Washington National Airport" at 5:35, I'll admit to having a grin on my face.

With my boarding card already in hand, all I had to do was get to the gate before the plane took off. I could do it. I screeched to a halt at the after hours car rental return, and jumped down an elevator to a waiting terminal shuttle. It was there waiting for passengers. I hopped on, and waited. We finally left the garage at 5:43. Not a big deal - I hadn't even checked in on the way to Washington until 15 minutes before departure - and I already had my boarding pass!

But I swear this bus driver couldn't go more than 5 mph. I quickly learned that I was in the last terminal, a painful distance away, since it took this driver two minutes to drive the thousand feet between stops, and another minute to wait for passengers to board (Board? At 6:00? There were no flights departing yet, let alone arriving!). We finally pulled up to my terminal at 5:53.

I hustled to the security checkpoint, but realizing that I didn't know which gate I was leaving from, hustled back to the departure monitor, to make sure that I would at least go through the right gate. There was no wait at security, and now it was just the distance between me and the gate holding me back. I hustled off at a slow sprint, suitcase in tow, as I sprinted the final distance. As I huffed passed the rest rooms, an airline employee coming my direction, stops and turns to me.

"Mr. Goldman?"

"Yes"

"You missed your flight. We put you on the next one."

And right there my hopes were crushed. I was upset. But I realized from the start that I wasn't angry at my situation or looking for somebody to fault. I was mad solely at the lost opportunity to have the best almost missed my flight story ever. "The 55-Minute Cinderalla Takeoff." It wasn't to be. Now I was just another bum who had overslept and missed his flight.

After taking a deep breath and staring at my plane sitting on the other side of the window, I went to the departures board to find out when this next flight would leave. I was relieved to see that it was at 7 AM, arriving at 8 AM, in plenty of time to get to work. I would not have to find an excuse to tell my boss as to why I was going to have to spend the day in Washington DC, so my neck was clean. Considering they announced 8,000 layoffs today, that was quite fortuitous. The time? 5:58 AM.

So in the end, I had to daven at work, but otherwise my schedule continued without missing a beat. I recognized from the start that make it or not, it was all in Gd's hands. Even more so, I realized that who knows how this played into the Larger plan. What could have happened had I made the earlier flight? Who knows what danger I might have been saved from, and who knows what my inconvenience might have been punishment for?

Most importantly, I learned that a shower in the bathroom sink at Reagan Airport does not in any way make up for the full body cleansing required after a wedding party. And I think every body around me learned that lesson as well.

Comments:
so the question is...when you found out you missed your flight...did that bring back your ability to cry?
 
Josh, I loved the title for this piece. Shows a good attitude.

I finally read your last three posts, so here are my thoughts.

About the flight, I would think could be she was very shy and also you have to realize how ingrained it is that we shouldn't talk to guys. Like I am the type that think sabout all people that i come to pass or interact with and would definitely be wondering about a guy I was near in a flight. But the truth is that as much as I inside would love to shmooze with him a whole flight, I don't know if i also would just naturally not do that. i wouldn't be rude. I would smile and say thanks if appropriate or whatever, but probably not take it further much as I might want to. there were times where like the whole situation lent itself to being different than at home, like at certain families over shabbos where they had us and guys so that was already something real hot for us (yes, for a average yeshivish girl, that is major breaking rules!)so then I would feel more comfortable breaking the unspoken rules. But otherwise it's just something you do, not even because you are scared, just that you are so used to it. And also being shy can really do it. Like inside you are dying to open up but are afraid.

About the name game, that is like the funniest thing. It's a good thing we never knew while in sem that the guys were all guessing our schools and noticing if we wore socks or stockings that day.

It's a lot harder with guys, becaue they can look very different and all learn in BMG. And even where they went before that can have different looks, though there are some general rules there, but also exceptions.

Shalom
 
Oh, and about the crying. I so know what you mean. It's like the most frustrating thing, and you wonder why it is and if you did something wrong or whatever (at least I do).

I also think it shows you are a sensitive person, but that we know about you already.
 
This reminds me of a trip I took to California with a bunch of friends years ago. There were 5 of us, careening around LA (I was the driver), San Diego, San Francisco - always getting lost but somehow making all our flights by the skin of our teeth. I have this image of us wildly racing through airports. Must have been quite a sight.
 
Josh, I just realized, in that photoon your sidebar, i think I stood on that exact roof you were on overlooking the Kotel (during an Oneg Shabbos a few years ago).
 
Wow. Once I got to the airport 45 minutes before my flight left. I also had my boarding pass. But they still didn't let me on. Said I had to get the the ticket counter 30 min before takeoff. Nevermind I was in line for 10 minutes and had no luggage I was checking in. That was Spirit Airlines by the way. Now I get to the airport 1 hour and a half before takeoff at the least; even though I end more spending more time at the terminal that on the plane in most cases (most of my flights are either from Florida to Pittsburgh, Florida to NYC or Florida to Jamaica - all under 2 1/2 hours).
 
hey - so totally off topic but how come you don't post on your kraft kosher site anymore!
 
definitely the right attitude. there is always a larger plan and i think we should live our lives with that in the back of our minds at all times.
i once missed a flight out of nj for florida for a funeral and the only reason they put us on the next flight was because they could see we were obviously going for a funeral and not a vacation. oddly, if the highway signs in nj weren't so bad, we wouldn't have missed the airport, and if the airport's transport from the parking lot to the terminal had signs saying that it wasn't in service, well, we might have made it. but in the end, it didn't matter.
as shakespeare would say, "all's well that ends well." (nice cliche ending, eh?)
 
Josh - if I sit next to you on a plane, I'll talk to you.
 
I know I've been non-responsive for such a long time. I've been reading everyone's comments and their blogs too. I just haven't had much time to write, and what little I had I selfishly guarded for writing my own posts. I see I have a lot of work to do.

Marc- the wedding was great, and I'm glad I went. I have some great pictures and video. I hope to post it on my other blog soon.

Shev- Thanks for your insight on the meeting a frum girl in a public place issue. I guess it must be ingrained on a certain level. So since I always try and change things that I think have no reason, I think I'll go out of my way to make more friendly overtures to these girls in the future. You know as a Chessed. As far as the name game, you have no idea how often we did this. I went to a Yeshiva overlooking the Kotel, so there was no shortage of Sems passing by. We would sit on the roof for hours playing. We probably were wrong 95% of the time. The object was more to look at the Sems - you know being cooped up in an all guys school (for me it was my first time). As far as crying, it is frustrating, because I know I have it in me, but at the same time I feel unable to.

Shosh - I'm always thinking of the great story I'll be able to tell. So I guess I'm driven by my love for attention. And my fear of missing work. I really thought there wouldn't be another flight all morning.

EC - Because I usually have to get to work, I almost always take 6am flights. One of the advantages to the early flights (as opposed to the 7am) is that I get to where I'm going in time to daven with a minyan, so I don't have to daven in an airport. As a tangent, I'm of the opinion that davening with Tefillin is a kiddush Hashem, not something to be embarassed about. Although, you should tell somebody that you're praying, so that they don't send out the SWAT team on you.

PC - Unfortunately, this happens too often when I get back late from a wedding. I have to shower every morning before work. So I don't want to shower at night and in the morning when I'm already exhausted and have a long day ahead. So the post wedding shower often gets cut out. Sometimes it's nice being single.

MS - I'm happy that I can reveal myself fully - I think that is how a blog is best utilized. I'm just fortunate enough that being open and using my real identity is possible. Plus it keeps me from really getting out of control.

E - You visited Yeshivat Netiv Aryeh?

MS - That's crazy. As I mentioned, on the flight out for my trip, I didn't even check in until 15 minutes before departure. Of course, they had to give me special clearance, since the e-check in wouldn't let me on. But a nice smile gets you miles...

Anon- I wish I could. I had a post idea today, but other than the few posts I've put up on this blog, I haven't even been able to respond to comments or comment on other's blogs. BH, I'm not spending all my time online now. No, that doesn't mean I'm dating.

Bec - All's well that end's well? I bet the guy who died didn't think so. JK.

Elster - thanks for agreeing with me. That is exactly what I go through on Yom Kippur (on a good year). As far as the frummie girls, I'll just have to turn up the charm a few notches.

And finally MH - Best for last. I'll be happy to send you my itineraries, so that we can arrange it. I had the impression that you were an open minded girl. I definitely wouldn't mind spending 12 hours cooped up with you.

I know that's a large response. I'll try and show up more regularly. Hopefully things will start to cool down at work.
 
MH - Sorry I missed your first comment. Sadly, and not ironically, it did not make me cry. Of course, I wasn't sad, so it didn't really move me that direction to begin with. Although, (morbid alert) when I pictured my original flight crashing and my living solely because I missed that flight, my eyes did swell - but alas the tears still did not flow.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?