Saturday, March 11, 2006

Jackpot

Every few months it seems that some factory worker wins some $300 million lottery. There is inevitably media attention on his rags to riches fame (with an undertone that most of these stories end in rags once again, but I'm not going to broach that topic).

But what is notable, that he bought a lottery ticket? Did he invent the wheel? There is nothing noteworthy in someone winning a game of chance. In fact, statistically, the outcome was quite predictable. I don't need to rehash all the cliche arguments, that lotteries simply are a tax on the stupid. But they really serve no purpose.

Most of the United States bans most forms of gambling. People become addicted and funnel all of their expendable (and non-expendable) income into a slim chance that their life will be instantaneously turned around. But it's not going to happen.

And even if you did win, what have you accomplished? Will all this money make you happy? Forget about what it can and can't buy. In my mind, money you haven't earned can never make you happy. The only way to happiness is by contributing to the world and reaching your goals. But just being handed $300 million is just a reshuffling of income. Like any gambling, it doesn't represent any increased economic output. It is simply everyone contributing a few dollars and giving most to one person and the rest to the State. No matter how many toys you buy, no wonder you're left with an empty feeling. Who can feel accomplished when they've been handed a prize they didn't earn?

Judaism comes down hard on gambling. Even if you argue that it is not completely forbidden, the fact that your winnings are viewed as stolen goods should lead to a similar conclusion. It always bothered me seeing the ultra-orthodox in Mea Shearim buying tickets for Israel's lottery. Not only does such behavior seem counter to the law of Judaism, but it seems to belie a lack of commitment to the productive lifestyle that Judaism espouses, and to the divine rewards bestowed therein. (And of course, they are supporting the Medina through the idiot tax.)

So put your money in the stock market. The 65,999,999 people that don't win the lottery will make a much higher return in the end. And they'll have earned it by giving something to the world in return.

Comments:
Believe me - I'd find very productive things to do with the money.
 
Josh, I have to disagree. People are a lot happier when they don't have to worry about where their next meal is coming from.
 
Hear, hear! Not to say I don't play the lottery (I'll buy a ticket when there's a $300,000,00 jackpot for fun. I buy the ticket and it sits in my wallet for a couple of weeks before I check the number), but I derive much more pride and pleasure from working towards a goal. I wouldn't complain if you gave me oodles of cash, but I wouldn't just let it sit either, I'd take that money and go to work making it a much larger sum and (scoff if you want, but this is the truth) meet my true goal of being considered a true baal tzedaka.
I've been to vegas by the way and decided to spend and afternoon gambling. I sat with $100 intending to lose it all b/c it was a vacation expense. 2 hours or so later I got up, still with $100 (having been up to $300 at one point) and feeling quite satisfied. 2 hours of enjoyment for free!
 
And by the way, you answered your own question; the news covers winners of the lottery because when people see it their interest is piqued by them saying to themselves "hey, that could have been me!" They'll buy tickets next time, and then one of them wins, and the cycle continues.
 
MH - If you had stolen the money, but used it for productive means, is it justified? Is winning money in a lottery that preys on the stupid really ethical?

N - True. I've never been impressed by the innate animal instinct in all of us. The same force that turned New Orleans into a zoo after Katrina is at play when we fear for our next meal. But I wouldn't call that happiness. There are various psychological interpretations at play, but most would agree that acheivement of food, shelter, and clothin is not happiness, any more than a dog feels joy from urinating. So while fear of the unknown may be removed, it is hardly an accomplishment progressing humanity, or even unique to humanity.

S - There is definitely a difference to those who view gambling as entertainment and those who view it as income. That's still not on the level of productivity, but you've identified a distinction that differentiates gambling from stupidity. Of course, paying $10 for a mixed drink might fall into that category...

DYS - The only strategic playing of the lottery I can appreciate is somebody who buys all 65 million combinations on a $300 million lottery. Now that's a smart investment. If you're goal is to do something productive with the money, then hopefully you can see that your more likely to meet your goal by not buying the lottery ticket.

Yes, I do understand why the media perpetuates stupidity. I think the media is the leading indicator of the downfall of capitalism, but not the cause. But that is for a different post.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?