Thursday, May 11, 2006

Dressed for Success

Sorry for the extraneous post, but the core of this blog has been ignored too long. So back to the basics...

I had some problems getting dressed this morning. I woke up all groggy, only to realize that I had no more clean shirts in my closet since I forgot to do my laundry last night. I staggered downstairs, hoping to find some miscellaneous reject hanging on the clothesline that would at least qualify as clothing. Happily, I saw two shirts, one light and one dark. Upon inspecting the light shirt (I'm a white shirt, dark pants kind of frummie), I saw it was my size (14 1/2) and a brand that I had, so I grabbed it and headed out. I got to shul only to realize I was wearing a pink shirt. Whoops.

But a funky shirt isn't enough to qualify for a blog post. Halfway through the day, my pant cuff came un-done. What do do? So I stapled it back up. Classy.

I am one put together gentleman.

Comments:
ok, i changed my mind.. maybe you DO need some female friends in your life!

just kidding!
but how about a personal shopper? :)
 
what?! no pictures of you in your pink shirt?
actually, if any frummie could carry it off, i think it'd be you ... a perfect match for your funky blue purim suit.
 
pink shirts are hot. all the cool yeshiva boys are wearing them now.
 
Josh doesn't need a female friend, he needs to see me more often. Good call on the staples, it had me laughing out loud.
 
Joooooosh, you're a blonde!! I never knew!
 
Mookie - I know, but how to I put "helpless" on my Shidduch resume. Forget about emotional stability, I'm falling a apart...

E - For the record, I pulled it off perfectly, but Hashkafically I just don't think a frummie needs to be so flashy. Although, to be honest, it was such a faint pink that it probably wouldn't have even been visible in a picture, had I taken on.

Sh - Yeah, it's important that I show off my "lighter" side...

Sus - It takes hot yeshiva guys to match up with hot single women in NY.

A - Sorry to disappoint - but you can have a personal fashion session.

D - I need anyone with a handle on the simple functions of life to help me out. I live in the clouds.

O - We have a lot in common...
 
Josh, I understand why you are a white shirt, dark pants, frummie. However, I think your Hashkafah, ideally, would prefer that you wear nice, clean, non-stapled, properly ironed clothing with color over ripped, stapled, and/or wrinkled white and dark clothing.

It's about dressing in a Kavodik way and being Tzanua', which means by definition, not drawing attention to oneself.

Think about it.

And buy some new clothes. I understand you might be saving or investing for the future and only buying necessities, but would this not be considered one of your necessities? Being a walking Kiddush HaShem rather than some walking "What's wrong with those Jews?" billboard?
 
Seth - I agree with everything you've said about my ideals 100%. But I think you misinterpreted the scenario. A cuff falling out is just a problem of bad workmanship; it doesn't mean you need new pants. And don't worry- the staples weren't visible from the outside. Nothing here had to do with being cheap, just with finding, uh, other ways to stay covered. Obviously, I believe it's crucial for a frum Jew to be well dressed.
 
DG - Yeah, the rainbow is more exotic. A ben Torah has to set the pace...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?