Thursday, August 10, 2006

...It means inviting guests

Hospitality has many levels. There's the family that has me and two other permanent non-related residents staying here. And there are the guys having me for Shabbos. But what we don't always realize is how difficult the simple act of being hospitable can be. Aside from the costs and time, it can add a lot of stress, a whole additional head to worry about.

We all appreciate being on the receiving end, but how many of us are ready to give? We're quick to promise to return the favor, but when it comes time, how many of us make the call, reach out and give an invite? Do people feel like they're mooching off of us or bothering us, or do they have to fight off our constant invitations?

Being completely on the receiving end right now, I am acutely aware of how challenging it is to take care of a stranger. But I can also attest to how much of a difference it can make to another person to know somebody is anticpating and fullfilling your needs.

As much as Judaism preaches the importance of looking out for others, is our community as outward to each other as it could be? Do the ghetto walls we build up end up blockading our hearts from each other?

Hospitality means more than hanging out with friends. It means looking for people that you can befriend.

So please, invite me for Shabbos, and I'll return the favor!

Comments:
I'd invite you for Shabbos, but it's a little far.
I think it depends on the community you're in as to whether people invite you over. But it's a two-way effort. People aren't going to invite you if they think you already have a place, or if they have no connection with you. All it can take is a smile or wishing someone a Gut Shabbos/Shabbat Shalom and that breaks down some of the barriers.
 
Even while being single, I don't think you always have to be on the receiving end of hospitality. I admit that I don't usually host families, but I do often have my single friends over for meals and/or to stay for weekends. I love hosting, probably even more than I enjoy being hosted.

An additional point, with those hosts who I've become close to, I always try to bring something to help out with the Shabbos meals, usually in the form of dessert. I love baking, and I've found that my hosts really enjoy being the recipient of my baked goods. It helps make me feel like it is a mutually beneficial arrangement :)
 
Josh, you are welcome to stay by me for shabbat any time. I just need to clear it with my roommates.....and with God..... If God says it's ok, then it's ok with me. If not, you can still come to me any time for a meal.
 
hey joshy pooh- if you put us on the bloggers i know list, we'll invite you again! (otherwise, you'll need to just call us from the road and show up 4 minutes before candlelighting...)WE LOVE YOU JOSH!!! (and we totally agree with every single thing you ever say!!)
 
joshy pooh?
 
Maybe there's something wrong with me, but I'd rather just make a shabbas for myself than be invited out. Oh wait... there's is something wrong with me, I'm slightly anti-social and completely shy, so you can just disregard this message. Good luck in Jew York/Jersey!
 
thought you would appreciate this in response to this post. its a National Jewish Outreach Program video about the importance of inviting shabbos guests. http://www.njop.org/html/hgvideo.html
also a ps, this summer people were really crappy about invites. i had some shabbosim where i was stuck in my apt with a broken foot and not one invite. im conviced all my friends suck!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?