Monday, August 07, 2006

Vortex

It all happened so fast. I threw all my belongings in a car and raced cross country. It didn't hit me until I woke up this morning that I didn't know where I was. I'm not just travelling for the weekend. I won't be coming home to my mom's cooking later this week. I don't know what I'm eating for lunch tomorrow. I don't know what to do at a full-serve gas station. I don't know why everyone keeps honking at me. Is there something I'm missing?

Every thing has gone so smoothly with my move. So why do I suddenly feel a storm brewing around me? There is nothing threatening, no looming challenges. I have a car (two!), know how to drive to work (10 minutes!), and even though the maid service is still up in the air, have a warm home to come home to every day.

But there is still so much unease. So many unknowns that seem just around the corner. And I seem alone. Everyone else continues their lives as they did yesterday, while I start anew. Like a rushing river swirling around a downed tree, a feel pinched in place, frantically grasping for familiar territory to lift myself to safer ground as the water rises ever higher.

I'll be fine. I just need to settle in, see that I can put all the pieces together. Hopefully, in my quest to make the adjustment to my new home easy, I won't forget all the great people that I came to be nearer too, even as I find myself farthest from the people I was closest to.

Comments:
As the famous saying goes...Kol Hatchalot Kashot -- all beginnings are difficult. You'll get there...hang in!
 
Welcome to NJ!! Home of NY football teams, cheap gas, no sales tax on clothes, jughandles - the dumbest thing ever! and Sunday Blue laws - the other dumbest thing ever!
You can do what my dad does at full-service gas stations. He gets out of the car and pumps his own gas. Then the gas man comes over and yells at him. It's kinda funny.
We might call it Ah-range but at least we don't incorrectly refer to soda as "pop". What's up with that? B/c it has bubbles that pop? What is that about?
 
I second the motion that you should try pumping your own gas at the full-serve station - it gets them to actually come over and pay attention to you, instead of you sitting there waiting.

Welcome to New Jersey! Enjoy!
 
oy, josh... come back! come back!!!
 
Um, gas stations in NJ are all full service Josh....when do I get to see you already? It's been a month!
 
And I meant to say, that what's the hard part about sitting in a car and having your gas pumped?
 
Mazel tov on your move! A move is a huge change, so you should worry only if it wasn't at all hard and strange and mystifying and odd. But, lunch? You now have many more food places to choose from -pick the one closest to you...or go to 7-11. Full serve gas station? Roll down window, turn off engiine, and order the gas guy around. Everyone honking at you? Sorry, you might have to drive faster, and if you miss what you were looking for, just make an illegal u-turn in the middle of the street -they'll all respect you more! G'luck!
 
Sh - Yeah, being laid back helps. As long as I don't let my anxious side take over, I'll be fine. But that doesn't make things seem more usual until I get used to them.

IMM - But when do beginnings turn back into continuations?

DG - That would be pretty funny. I live in West Ahrange. It's also funny that people here keep telling me that I'm now a New Jerseyite. They want me to get a NJ driver's license, but I refuse, because, hey, I'm not from NJ!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?