Thursday, September 28, 2006

Old Skeletons

Here it is, Yom Kippur eve (almost), and I find myself unrepentant. It's strange - I've had relatively a great year - I had a daily chavrusa, good kavana in davening, and fought my worst Yetzer Hora aggressively with a lot of success. So I should feel accomplished and confident as I approach the day of judgment, no?

So why do I feel so empty? Why did Rosh Hashana davening feel nearly useless? I don't know when the last time was that I felt like merely a spectator in shul. I actually felt like just sitting in shul, ignoring the Tefilos. But sucker me stood the entire time in place anyway. And yes, "fake it 'till you make it" did work to some extent. A mussar shmooze later, and I was slightly restored.

But there is still a lot missing. Will this anti-spiritual beginning bode poorly for the upcoming year? Will I make it through Yom Kippur? Will the growth of this past year be reversed?

When will I be back in Eretz Yisroel?

Comments:
Josh, I totally felt the same way this year. Until today. I didnt get a chance to do Tashlich on RH so I went to the river today, and it was so peaceful, I finally felt like I had G-d to myself and it was the first meaningful prayer I had in a long long time. I used to be a big shul goer, but lately shul hasn't been a place I can really daven with kavanah. I guess what I'm suggesting, is maybe try davening alone, you never know...
 
It's the evil inclination, trying to bring you down bec. you reached a higher level. kol hagodol michaveira, yitzro gadol heimenu.
 
I have been feeling the same way. Sorry if this isnt what you want to hear but its comforting to know Im not alone in this blah feeling, its almost like its not that time of year at all....
 
i like your posts and your honesty
 
felt the same anti-spiritual thing this year too... maybe it has something to do with the air in jew york (and jersey)...
 
Ray - Yeah, sometimes we are so caught up in the official ceremony that the tears never come. But sometimes we are all alone, and all we can think about is real estate investments. OK, maybe that is just me. But the point is that we have to balance out getting in touch with our emotions with the guidance that is given to us by the public forum. I actually like to face a wall, so that while I can hear everything, my reactions are only for myself.

MH - I suppose every obstacle stems from the Yetzer Hora. But this didn't feel like a simple higher level challenge. I was really just empty.

FG - It's strange, becuase I don't just think it's a spiritual thing. I've also been feeling very blaise about the blog world. Not that I don't want to be into it, but it just has seemed so quiet all around, without the same comraderie. So it's weird that davening was also so cold...

Steph - You're welcome, and I look forward to hearing your honest opinions about my posts!

Timmie - It's strange how this seems to be such a widespread sentiment. I thought about going to Israel (it didn't jive with my work schedule), but I don't know if that would've made it better. I think there is an internal switch which is currently stuck in off. For some reason, I seem to be much more concerned with the practical and material than the emotional and spiritual.

Maybe I just need a girlfriend.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?