Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Just in Time

Some people have a mid-life crises at say 50. Others have one after some traumatic event forces them to reconsider their life choices. I don't get it. What's stopping them from sitting down right now and deciding what path they want to take? Whether it's your job, which shul you go to, what you wear, or where to take your next vacation, why should you wait for something to jolt you out of your stupor? From the times of the Bible, it seems people have been waiting for acts of Gd to teach them lessons. But why wait? If you're unhappy, just take the leap already, and stop see-sawing.

I remember when I started wearing pants in 8th grade (to the exclusion of shorts, not skirts). Nobody required me to, nor did anyone inspire me to. But I knew that it was expected in High School, and therefore I assumed that the same ideal should apply to me immediately. So I just acted. But we know I'm Superman. The question is how do I get the rest of the world to follow their convictions and, in the immortal words of Marco the Lunch guy, "Do the right thing?" Maybe that should be the theme of my next Google Video...

In the meantime, a nice story. I left work late today, and barely had time to get to Mincha. It was raining and traffic was backed up from the office all the way until the shul. I arrived 10 minutes late, and dashed inside. I was greeted by a group of guys dashing outside. They asked if I needed to daven Mincha, because they needed a 10th. Um, good timing. The good news is they waited for me. The bad news is they waited for me - I ask everyone present Mechila for the Tircha, delay. Chasdei Hashem.

And the lesson - don't work late. Unless there's an early Mincha Minyan (which will resume next week, I"YH)!

Comments:
Aw, Shosh, but the masses are a#@es...
 
For Mincha, you could do what I do - work in a Shul. There is mincha every day. And someone explained to me that if you work for a shul, that's a mitzvah and when you're doing one mitzvah, you're exempt from other mitzvot. Therefore working for a shul exempts you from most mitzvot. But then so does being female. So I'm covered.
 
I don't work near a minyan and leave at 5. Hence, starting this week I need to daven mincha beyechidut before leaving work. THAT blows. I have midlife crises all the time. You're never too young or too old to rethink your life, just when people start feeling "old" around 50 they start regretting not having done certai things and try to rectify it before it's too late. My dad bought his "mid-life crisis car" at 47.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?