Monday, November 13, 2006

TMI

What a weekend. Let's just say I haven't gone on this little sleep or this long without a shower since I graduated YU. Which brings me back to the title. A few people have questioned the sanity of me putting so much personal information out in the public domain when it is so easily traceable back to my offline existence.

Yeah, that never bothered me. As riduculous as I often make myself sound in my writing, A) All the opinions I write are my actual thoughts, and B) all the stories, while possibly pathetic, are true. So like 'em or leave 'em, they're me.

But isn't it only a partial picture of who I am? Absolutely, I never said this was a documentary meant to capture my inner essence. While you'll get a flavor for me, you won't be able to put together the whole recipe. I leave out all of the boring stuff, all of the day-to-day parts of my life and even some out of the ordinary stuff that I just don't deem that interesting to the cross-section of my readers.

What if somebody is seriously using my blog to find out who I am? What if a girl I might date comes across it (it's happened more than once) or a possible employer? Well, hopefully, if I'd even remotely be a good fit, they'd A) have a sense of humor, and B) try and figure out the rest of the picture.

I'll let you in on a little secret (take this Anonymous satirical commentator) - I often omit details that would help clear up a situation, knowing that the ambiguity enhances the drama. So without Dan L'Kaf Zechus, you'll never catch on that I'm writing to entertain, not come across as the prince that I obviously am.

For example, this past weekend I saw an hysterical episone of Hogan Knows Best, you know that classic reality sitcom on VH-l using the deep experiential knowledge of the classical thinker Hulk "The Body" Hogan. Now I could've spent three quarters of the post explaining the context of how I came to be watching this fine film. Or I could just get to the point. I'm comfortable with my decisions, and have no qualms telling only the relevant part of the story. I leave the creative understanding of my complex persona(s) up to you...

Which brings me to the actual lesson from the Hulk. If you're ever invited to a party at a non-Jew's house, and he obviously has no background in Jewish custom, don't refuse to eat his food or shake his wife's hand without a gentle explanation and a warm thanks for his efforts to accomodate you. Because not only does it make you and your religion look stupid on national TV, but you don't want to mess with the Body.

And now you can try and figure out what a guy with a beard was doing watching VH-1, 'cause I'm not going to help you...

Comments:
I don't recall the episode. Now that you mention it, I'm always so jealous that you have these funny stories, while I have is bitterness. We should merge blogs, now that would be interesting.
 
Why do you think your beard defines you? My guess is you got lazy and didn't feel like shaving, and then decided you liked it or it was what all the "cool" people were doing ;)
I wouldn't take Dudie's advice, his blog has been getting pretty dull...
 
that's easy - you're a hypocrite :)

(please don't hurt me blogblond)
 
Josh, Josh, Josh ... whut up, brother?

I write openly about my job, viciously malign my editor on my blog (not really, as it'd be a serious transgression of the rules of loshon hara), and none of them seem to care for some reason.

My co-workers obviously feel like they have more important things to do than read anything I have to say, even as it pertains to them.

I wonder why that is.
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
uh- hi! I didn't see that episode of Hogan -which isn't such a shocker, since I don't watch it, but i definitely know what you're talking about- but I do understand your little lesson about not looking stupid on national day. In school with many non-Jews and many Jews that don't know what I'm doing and why, I fight not to look "stupid", insensitive, thoughtless, insane, and ignorant every day. Let me tell you, it's harder than it looks. Sometimes you just don't want to explain why you can't do this or that or this or that. But, and luckily for me, I love being asked questions and teaching. It makes me feel smart. See, if we all just catered to our egos a bit more, we'd all be much nicer and more sensitive!
 
although you’re not exactly anonymous as some bloggers are, It's clear that all bloggers only give away part of themselves or exactly the opposite show a side that few people in that person' s real environment know he/she possesses.

I always try to warn in advance when I know I’ll be in contact with ignorant goyim.
Once a women stretches her hand out, will all the kind explanations in the world there's a chance she will feel humiliated or insulted.
If you explain beforehand chances are they will be very understanding.
 
there's always my favorite fall-back position: "sorry, i've got cutaneous anthrax..." shy smile and game over.
 
Thanks for clearing that up. BTW Hulk's nickname wasn't "The Body" - That was Jessie "The Body Ventura's" nickname (you know, the former Gov of Minnesota). We'll just blame your error on the beard or the fact that you left out that detail to make the story more entertaining.
 
cutaneous anthrax? now THAT is creative! how DO you think of those things?
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Dudie - Yes, you could bring the bitterness and I could bring the funny stories. Now why on earth does that sound like an imrovement over my blog? Do people want me to be more bitter? I can do drama queen...

RIT - Be gentle with Dudie. He might get bitter. I don't think my beard defines me. But I think it plays a part in how others define me. I don't have a problem with that. But growing a beard is a Prishusdike choice, in many respects, and most would probably shun pop-culture too. You can try and connect the dots and figure out why I thought watching Hogan was OK. And, no, lazy doesn't enter my vocabulary, and I'm not much of a follower either. And I'm not really into the whole hippy scene.

MH - Ooh, showing some edge there. If you end up in a cat fight, let me know.

Anon - which I knew who you were. Sorry that nobody seems to care to read about your life. I give you permission to live vicariously through me. I've been living through others for years, it's a lot of fun, without the jail time.

Yay, OK to the rescue. I agree. Just because our identity carries with it a lot of responsibility doesn't mean I think we should take the easier of the two alternatives and hide our identity. We just have to use it (and our ego- good call!) to be a gentle reminder of our real potential in this world.

Anon - I'm glad you picked up the only showing part of my personality on the blog thing. My loyal readers will recall the funny episode of the shidduch I lost from on of my commenters. Enough said. I also agree with you that simply explaining a practice takes so much awkwardness out of a religious practice. Benching at a table of coworkers can be very awkward. But excusing yourself to say your prayers after a meal will usually leave very understanding (and possibly curious) coworkers.

BB - I just tell the it's a condition of my parole...

ASC - Well played...

Anon - We all wish we knew. But only the Brit gets the prize.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?