Wednesday, March 21, 2007

A New Leaf

I managed to visit Boro Park and Williamsburg on Purim, and even got a Beracha from the Satmar Rebbe of Williamsburg. It was thrilling, being able to be in a different world on Sunday, and back at work on Monday. Even in Mea Shearim, I was buffered from my "other life" in the world at large. But as amazing as it was, it made me sad to see the state of Chassidus today. I don't understand all of the feuding. Isn't a rebbe just a source of individual inspiration? Can't each choose his own? Can't somebody decide not to be Chassidiche, but still be frum? Isn't it a lifestyle choice, a personal path to perfection? Why isn't the road more fluid between those that choose a more isolated lifestyle close to a particular Rebbe, and those that choose the frum world at large? I suppose it's my naivete at believing in Shivim Panim, multiple approaches, to interpreting a Torah lifestyle. I may think somebody is too liberal or too strict to ensure their own survival, but how does that endanger my choice? Can't I espouse my own opinion and urge others to follow, but accept that others will proceed at their own peril? Can't we accept that history will pave the final course?

I guess the fact that I haven't posted in awhile can be seen as a good thing. I haven't stopped opining, but I haven't been able to keep up with all of the discussions on the blogosphere. I'm buying a coop in Washington Heights, and I've been dating a girl. Seriously. No really, I'm buying a coop. But since I'm dating, I figured I'd let all my friends online give her some advice. You know, because you guys know me best.

Comments:
I agree about people choosing their frum lifestyle whether chassidish, litvish, modern orthodox or a mixture of those.
 
I hear this girl is from someplace cool. Someplace you guys should get married so we can bring soulmate Junior to dance at your chassunah... Someplace so groovy, in fact, that you should consider moving there ;)
 
been to les marais lately?
 
lol
 
Read the book "The Unchosen"
 
Just a flying guess here (really, based more in ignorance than anything, so please don't skewer me for this)...I think since so many Chasidim believe that our neshamas are collectively in peril if we don't all follow the same or a similar path, that's why I think there is such fractitiousness (a real word?) amongst those communities, because of the breaking out/defecting over to "the other side" factor, which can be viewed as threatening to so and so many Jewish souls.

In the case of the infighting amongst the Chasidim, I see it as a case of missing the tree for the forest...they're so intensely focused on having everyone conform to their ideology, that sadly they become oblivious that sinas chinam has ensued.

A tragedy, no doubt.
 
I honestly thought you'd get more of a reaction to the news that you're dating someone.
 
Hey Josh - just found your blog for the first time. Good going!
-
Nothing is wrong with differant groups thinking they have the most direct path in Avodas Hashem. I'ts always been this way, and I think any healthy Chosid/Yid should believe that he has the "best Schora"

The problem arises when one believes that everyone has to see things in the same way they do and not appreciate another Yid who is also Shomer Torah U'Mitzvos.
---
A Simple example - During Sefira we mourn Rabbi Akiva's students who passed away for not respecting each other. It's ironic how their own teacher was the one who preached about Ahavas Yisroel! One of the answers given (Lubavitcher Rebbe) is that they each understood their Rebbe in a differant way and felt the need to impose their opinion on each other. Because they loved each other - literally - like themself, they couldnt bare seeing their friend not having it totally right...at least in their mind. Unfortunately, not much has changed...
---
Josh - B.t.w - feel free to check out new blog of mine - Chassidus in the form of simple ideas and practical applications

www.derher.com
 
oy, derher, it's not that they couldn't bare it, they just couldn't BEAR it!
 
s - it's a shame that people feel compelled to conform. I fear that so many people leave frumkeit because their community doesn't speak to their spiritual needs, but at the same time doesn't facilitate, let alone tolerate, their honest search. We'd all be better off!

AS - Yes, she is, if by that you mean the same general city you're in. You, SM, and jr are all welcome to dance. But first let me work on the basics...

TC - Um, I haven't been hungry...

WWFF - You're so jealous you didn't come with us...SR in a black hat...

Jules - Never read the whole thing, only parts, but that whole world is fascinating to me. Namely, it is the story of people taking the exact opposite path from me. I'm fascinating by hearing what leads people to throw away the same gift I've been chasing. I see it as a tremendous opportunity to see what we do wrong.

Eri - I love your optimism. Either way, it's a shame, because they do end up alienating others. They should realize that the Baal Shem Tov chose numerous students to teach the world, and even then they were different. I just think at that point everyone realized that it was a choice, an attachment you made out of a personal disposition to a specific Rabbi's teachings. Now, it's really just one social club vs. the competition.

MH - You're the only one heartbroken, I suppose. Seriously though, I agree, of all the outrageous statements I've made just to get attention, I thought that'd be right up there. I guess I've dulled everyone's sense of disbelief.

Der - Thanks for bringing your voice to the conversation. I think it definitely starts from a good place. But there is a long way from taking pleasure in your own lot and denigrating others. Obviously, in my mind, the people who punch other chassidim over disputes over which Rebbe is the successor (or is Mashiach) are really clouded by their own ego.

Chansie - You have no idea how much joy it gives me to see that seminary hasn't dampened your wit - or your grammar skills!
 
Josh,

Be careful about buying as the market will most probably fall more both in nominal dollar but certainly in real dollars (inflation adjusted).
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?