Thursday, January 26, 2006

Distractions

One of the first feelings I had when I got to Israel was the inability to cry. I guess technically this would be a lack of feelings. I don't know why I noticed this - it wasn't like I was trying to cry. But I felt a swelling of emotion as I thought of my trip, and distinctly recall an inability to stir it any further. As I headed on my first vacation since starting to work 14 months ago, as I arrived at the Kotel, as I sat singing with my Yeshiva, as I visited the cemetery - such an overwhelming sense of powerful moments, but yet I was untouched.

This isn't a new phenomenon for me. I'm not sure if it's because I think too much instead of just letting myself feel. Nor am I sure, I guess, why it is that I think I should cry. Perhaps it's just an assumption I have from watching too much television. But no matter how much I attempt to tune in or tune out, it seems like the tears are just beyond my reach.

Unrelated (I think), the next observation I had was the tremendous difficulty posed to those studying in Jerusalem, especially during tourist season. While I had this same issue when I was studying there full time, it was even more acute when I was the tourist. Aside from the poor role modeling I did from taking the current students away from their studies, I was drawn away from my own attempts to dedicate some time to personal growth by the rush of American youth swarming the city's destinations. How could I sit quietly in the Beis Medrash when my peers were visiting the Kotel, shopping in Meah Shearim, and eating on Ben Yehuda or Emek Refaim?

Especially considering that many of these kids were friends that I hadn't seen in awhile. Or girls, a gender that I haven't seen in awhile. I wasn't sure which was the greater lost opportunity. At least at the time. As one blog commentator once put it, there is nothing more intriguing to a Yeshiva Bachur than the words "skirt" and "seminary." I guess I should be glad that at least in one measure I am still a Yeshiva Bachur. I really don't know how anyone can avoid the temptation of so many distractions. I guess once you do get over it, though, you've definitely reached a very high level.

I did have an interesting Sem Story (no, nothing to do with Elisheva- just a funny story involving two sem girls). Skipping the part about what I was doing talking to them, I had casually mentioned that one of the numerous ways that Yeshiva guys keep entertained is by playing a little game called "Name the Seminary." Pretty self-explanatory, just simple people-watching and stereotyping. So of course the girls get all excited and want me to guess where they went to seminary, like I was reading their future or something. Trust me, the game isn't really that exciting to outsiders. So anyways, I guessed where they went, and did a terrible job. That's not the purpose of the story. I guessed that one of the girls went to a school that, lets just say, doesn't have a stellar reputation. Why I didn't lie, I'm not sure. But I'm an honest guy, so I went with my gut, and threw out the name of this party school. So, um, the girl was insulted. (Her friend thought it was hysterical, though!)

My point is this - if you look a certain way, people make judgments, right or wrong. While you shouldn't dress a certain way just to please people, I do think that how you choose to present yourself does play a very real affect on you, in a "self-fulfilling prophecy" sort of way. So while others shouldn't go around judging you based on how you dress (other than those playing "Name the Seminary"), I do think that we have to be honest about what we are conveying about ourselves. We can use this in a positive or a negative manner. If we dress like role models above us, people who we want to be like, we will be more conscious about deserving that status. And if we dress like role models below us, we may achieve that status as well. So while my failure in "Name the Seminary" might not have accurately portrayed this girl's present, it may have betrayed her future. I'm not talking about people who dress outside the box, just the values that are exposed in our external appearance.

Finally, I'll be flying to Silver Spring for a wedding tomorrow. The bad news is that this means that I'll be away from Blogland for the rest of the weekend. The good news is that if anyone is in DC, we can meet up in the Real World. (David, I tried calling your cell, but I must have an old number. Give me a call in the morning.)

Comments:
Josh - I know what you mean about crying. I've had many occasions when I thought I should be crying, but the tears just wouldn't come. And then of course I'll watch a movie or a heartwarming commercial, and find my eyes well up.
Regarding clothing and presentation - didn't you write another post about this, where you felt that clothes don't make the man? Change of heart?
Hope you're having fun in SS

MH
 
sounds like you had an amazing time!
 
That is so funny, Josh.. However, I am willing to bet that if you met me, you would lose big at NTS..
 
Josh,

Glad we got to meet for lunch. Thos pictures of you an your brother eating were quite entertaining. As usual i enoyed your lively personality. Hope you enjoyed the wedding.

David
 
Your new picture is quite shocking.
 
MH - Maybe part of my problem is that I'm not surrounded by the emotion. If I feel sad it is just me, so when I look around I feel silly and move on. But I guess if I was watching a sad movie with somebody who cried, I might cry too. If my purpose was just to cry, that would work, but I think my purpose is to cry over the very real things that make me sad, not scripted drama. As far as clothes making the man, I don't remember what I said prior, but I don't think I've changed my mind. Probably just a subtle nuance. Like a person shouldn't be judged by what they wear, but they should consider the subliminal messages that they expose with their decisions.

SG - Yeah, probably. I was never really good. But you probably would have been one of the few swift girls to actually bust me playing!

Araya - Maybe I just don't have anything crushing that dampens my spirit. But then I guess maybe I'm supposed to take events more seriously. I don't know. What is "Name the Nightmare?"

GG - You're right, a lot had nothing to do with clothes. It had to do with who they were with, what they were carrying, how they talked. Really a lot of fun. At least when you were supposed to be sitting in Beis Medrash.

David - I'll try and get you pictures. Jesus was a Jew.

BB - It's a good thing you avoided Kikar Shabbos - there were so many contestants there, it was impossible to play. I feel bad looking at Sems, but at least I only enjoyed watching tznius girls. I could've been on Ben Yehudah. As far as the particulars, those change over time, so what we judged from 6 years ago probably isn't still applicable. But I'm always up for learning something new!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?